Hutchinson Legal is a local law firm with a rich local heritage and deep historical ties to the region. The story begins with Henry Summerville Dixon who was born in 1928- coincidentally the same year the Ringwood Clock Tower was erected as a memorial to those that served in the Great War. After completing his Law Degree at Melbourne University in 1952, Henry setup a legal practice in the Ringwood Anglican Hall in early 1953.
Henry’s emerging legal practice, H.S. Dixon, moved 6 weeks later to 121 Maroondah Highway for two years before a more permanent address was found in Unit 1 at the newly built Midway Arcade in 1955. Henry worked tirelessly as a sole practitioner for 46 years faithfully serving the Ringwood community until a decision was made to sell his practice to Grant Hutchinson in 2001.
The Hutchinson family heritage adds even more historical texture to the story with Grant’s forebears settling into the Maroondah area back in the 1860’s when the original Ringwood village began to emerge from recently sold pastoral land in the 1850’s. Grant’s great grandfather, John Hutchinson, also made a strong contribution to the community as Justice of the Peace in the 1920’s.
Grant John Hutchinson was born in 1963 and has lived most of his life in the area known as the City of Maroondah. Grant lives at Croydon Hills with his wife Wendy and their four children. Grant is passionate about the local community and was delighted to add yet another layer to the history pages by moving the Hutchinson Legal practice from Midway Arcade to the old doctor’s surgery opposite Eastland in October 2008.
Originally a vicarage, the property was sold to Dr Bill Hewitt in the 1920’s and was principally used as both a general practice and for consultative rooms for ante and post natal care for women. The newly refurbished premises at 10-12 Warrandyte Rd, opposite Eastland, continued the tradition of quality service and caring for the local community.
On 1 December 2009, Hutchinson Legal entered a new era with Con Nottas joining Grant Hutchinson as a Partner of the practice. Con and Grant have known each other and worked together at various times since 1996 when Grant offered Con his first position in the legal profession. Con lives with his wife Suzana and their two children in Blackburn South. Con is committed to providing a professional legal service to the local community. In 2018, Jason Lau joined the partnership, strengthening the growing practice. Jason and Amelia live locally with their two young children.
Part of Hutchinson Legal’s commitment to offering the highest level of service to their clients included the opening of an office in Melbourne’s CBD in March 2011. The location offers both convenience to an expanding city client base and will provide further scope to grow the Hutchinson legal team.
In May 2018, having outgrown the Warrandyte Rd premises, Hutchinson Legal moved to its current premises at 38 New Street, Ringwood, and was joined at the new location by sister firm, YourLawyer. The building at 38 New Street has been named the H.S. Dixon Chambers in honour of Henry Summerville Dixon.
With a strong line-up of skilled legal practitioners and an unwavering commitment to providing legal solutions for life, Hutchinson Legal will continue to add more depth and strength to the community and to the historical pages of Maroondah.