Road Traffic Offences

Traffic offences are governed by the Road Safety Act 1986 (Vic) and related regulations.  Police have two options in dealing with a person whom they deem to have committed a traffic offence. These are:

  1. Police issued Infringement Notices; and
  2. Charge you with a criminal offence.

Should you wish to challenge your infringement notice, please contact us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers.

If charged with a criminal offence, you would be:

  1. Released on bail;
  2. Released pending summons;
  3. Remanded into custody depending on the nature of the offence or whether you are on bail for any other offences

Upon being sentenced for a traffic offence, the accused person may be subject to a mandatory loss of licence for a certain period of time.  If your licence is suspended or it is cancelled and you are disqualified from driving, you must not drive for that period of time. If you are disqualified from driving, you must not drive until you reapply for your licence.

If your matter proceeds to Court, we have experienced lawyers at Hutchinson Legal who will be able to provide you with advice and representation in your matter at Court.

Meet our lawyers

Grant Hutchinson

Telephone (+61 3) 9870 9870
Fax (+61 3) 9870 5704
Email Grant Hutchinson